Topic: Flying aircraft carriers

One of the genre tropes I'm working on is flying aircraft carriers.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations for artwork, stories, movies or video games to include.

So far, I have:

• SHIELD's Helicarrier

• Cloudbase from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons

• The Valiant from Dr Who

• Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (of course!)

• Castle Wulfenbach from Girl Genius

Re: Flying aircraft carriers

This may not fit exactly with what you're going for, but have you heard of the ekranoplan or ground effect vehicle? The Soviets toyed with them during the 60s. They were essentially low flying ships that flew roughly 6ft from the water by floating on a cushi on of high pressure air generated by its stubby wings. The most famous of them was the Caspian Sea Monster, which was destroyed in the 1980s. While there was not an aircraft carrier variant produced, there might have been if the Soviets had continued their research.

I remember the Caspian Sea Monster, yes! Maybe I should do a post on ground-effect vehicles. To be honest, I've never really looked into it, but a quick Google search turns up some crazy pictures.

I've always found it interesting to look into old military designs of machines that were never built or never made it past the prototype stage. I also haven't done a ton of research into ekranoplans, but they could be quite interesting.

I'm putting it on my (very long!) to-do list.

I'm sure old issues of Popular Science and Modern Mechanix will have some even more outlandish proposals. Should make for a good atompunk entry. Thanks!

Yeah. Sorry for not contributing to the original post all that much, you've already got all the ones I can think of listed.

No worries! You've given me another good idea smile

The flying aircraft carriers story is now online!

owegner, in case you missed it, I also wrote an article about Strange Aircraft of the Soviet Union a couple of months ago that includes the ekranoplan.