Topic: America's two-party system is outdated

My latest for the Atlantic Sentinel cites Frank J. DiStefano's analysis in The American Interest about America's current two-party system being out of date.

Both parties have essentially accepted the New Deal consensus. Democrats wouldn’t really try to build another Great Society even if they could. Republicans wouldn’t really try to abolish Medicare if they had the chance.

Voters are changing parties. University-educated professionals, who are prospering in the new economy, are shifting from the Republicans to the Democrats. Blue-collar workers and farmers who fear losing out, and white voters who fear losing power in an increasingly multiethnic America, are going the other way. Democrats are becoming what Ronald Brownstein has called a “coalition of transformation”; Republicans, a “coalition of restoration”.

Michael Lind has similarly argued that the new dividing line will be between cosmopolitans, liberals and internationalists on the left and nationalists, social conservatives and isolationists on the right.

What do you think the Democratic and Republican Parties of tomorrow will look like?

Re: America's two-party system is outdated

I believe that the United States is a sort of constitutional oligarchy. There are a group of first families that run the country. The election process is simply an input. I agree that the two parties are very similar. They seem to represent two competing football teams.

Re: America's two-party system is outdated

I don't agree the parties are similar. There are some huge differences, especially on social and cultural issues like abortion and immigration. And, of course, there's Trump, who's exacerbated some of these differences.

(It's good to see you again, by the way!)