Re: Movie Club

Wow, the novel's one of my favourite books ever. I might go and see this!

I do suspect a lot of liberties will be taken with the plot though wink

Sorry, left the Falcon in the Bentley. Right now, you answer to my Ronson T-T.

All hail Kremperpunk.

Archer wrote:

By the sweet and sassy  heavens to Mergatroid, even!!!  I got chills when Bloom unfurled the plans to an airship, then I saw the airships.  I need to go take a Xanax now...

I really like the combination of two of my favorite themes: airship and fighting sail. Did you notice the "oars" projecting out from the airship gondolas? I think someone had a lot of fun with this digital artwork.

OMG I LOVED THIS!
I sat there in the theatre going all SQUEEEEEEEEEE! (ok not literally, but I was internally squeeing).
Bert HATED it though, with a fiery vengeance, I won't get him to come to the sequel with me, that's for sure.

Wasn't too enthused by it myself sadly. Some of the lines were a bit jarring. Nice soundtrack though. The dirigibles/steampunk seemed painfully shoehorned in with the explanation. Guess it had the opposite effect on me.

Sorry, left the Falcon in the Bentley. Right now, you answer to my Ronson T-T.

All hail Kremperpunk.

I enjoyed the heck out of it - the minute you see an airship, who cares about historical accuracy?

Come on, say it with me:
MUSKET-PUNK!!!!!

Saw The Death of Stalin -- definitively dark comedy. Hilarious, but also disconcerting in its portrayal of Stalinist Russia.

Not historically accurate, of course, but you still feel the fear and hypocrisy Russians were forced to live under.

Seen Paddington 2. It's delightful!

Recently saw:

• Ocean's 8 -- A lot of fun, great cast.

• The Incredibles 2 -- Fun, but overrated.

• Mission: Impossible - Fallout -- Wasn't a huge fan of the previous movies, nor a big fan of Tom Cruise, but this one is really well done.

• Succession, a TV series -- About a dysfunctional family at the head of a media empire. Pretty compelling. It's by the same guy who created The Thick of It.

• Counterpart, also a TV series -- Underrated. Spies and a parallel Earth and the whole look, in terms of decor and technology, harkens back to the 1980s. Strongly recommend this one.

What I'm looking forward to:

• Operation Finale, about the kidnapping of Adolf Eichmann

Saw Seven Days in May (1964), about an attempted military putsch in the United States. It's quite good. I wrote a review for Never Was.

Currently watching Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz (1969). It's long! 2 hours and 20 minutes. Watched the first half last night. So far, so good.

Ottens wrote:

Saw Seven Days in May (1964), about an attempted military putsch in the United States. It's quite good. I wrote a review for Never Was.

Currently watching Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz (1969). It's long! 2 hours and 20 minutes. Watched the first half last night. So far, so good.

I remember seeing Seven Days in May as a kid and being frightened. Now, I see real world American politics and everything frightens me.

I never saw HBO's remake "The Enemy Within," but would be curious as to a new remake.