Topic: Star Trek XII

Starting a new topic for the new Trek movie.

First trailer here

Japanese version here which is 15 seconds longer

Re: Star Trek XII

Already told Hilde this, but I got a real "Batman" vibe from the trailer which I'm not sure is appropriate.

Fiery Little One wrote:

I've been flip-flopping over who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing for quite some time and at this point I'm inclined to think it might be Gary Mitchell.

Why's that?

Well, Khan was the first and, apparently, only choice the media goes to for who he might be and I dismiss that based off of the fact that they seem to be going the simplistic route. 'TWOK was the second movie of the original stuff so they must be bringing him back to try again with this second movie.' I just don't really hold to that line of thought, so since Cumberbatch is wearing a Starfleet uniform that leaves a few options. Mitchell who, after gaining his powers, threw Kirk around like a rag doll or, this is something I thought about on SCN, Garth, who over powered Kirk easily enough after taking his form. Of the 2 Mitchell seems more likely because if the incident that gave him his powers still happens, he'd have more than enough reason to go after Starfleet in General and perhaps Kirk & co. in particular. The only thing that puts a kink in that idea would be the lack of silver eyes, but it's possible they haven't added in all the fx shots they needed to.

Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

I don't buy it. Who besides freaks like us remembers Gary Mitchell? He just wouldn't have the sort of emotional impact that Khan has. If I were Paramount and they came to me with that, I'd turn it down.

I dismiss that based off of the fact that they seem to be going the simplistic route. 'TWOK was the second movie of the original stuff so they must be bringing him back to try again with this second movie.'

It's not that they must. It's rather -- and I base this on the first reboot film -- they don't seem to have the imagination to do something original, except with regard to pretty visual effects.

Given what we learn today from the longer trailer, I think Sybok, Spock's brother, is more likely:

Full STAR TREK trailer indicates hands against glass scene is actually Spock and Cumberbatch.

Then again:

Cumberbatch does NOT have Vulcan ears. Hands against glass scene seems to be Cumby in the brig.

So I'm still putting my money on Khan, although it seems there's an emotional relationship between him and Spock. Maybe Spock's human mother had a human son in this universe?

So Cumberbatch is playing one "John Harrison" (could be a ruse) and in most of the pictures we've seen now, he's wearing Starfleet uniform. That, I think, tells us more than the name. Could this be a rogue Starfleet officer -- maybe one who's embraced eugenics?

(I get the eugenics element from the nine-minute extended trailer where Cumberbatch's character is apparently introduced as being able to help a dying child.)

Seems to correspond with the synopsis:

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

Which doesn't yet account for:

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

"One man weapon of mass destruction" could be Khan? Is Kirk sent out to recruit him to fight Cumberbatch's character? Would be a twist on the original Star Trek II: Khan is Kirk's ally this time instead of his nemesis.

Although, as "Space Seed" won't have happened, that leaves the "personal score" rather a mystery still.

Yeah I'm convinced that name is a placeholder to keep thing under wraps until a later date.

Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

There's a LOT of people that remember Mitchell, you'd be surprised.

Anyway, I don't know who it is, I haven't the foggiest and all my theories are pretty lousy, but I am EXCITED about the new movie.  But I will be mighty UNIMPRESSED if they kill Spock AGAIN!

Oh and do NOT make the mistake to tumblr search for clues, I did that and I may be scared for life.  I swear most of these people just watches Trek these days to ship some characters that don't have a relationship in the movies X_x

In any case I look forward to the next trailer.

HildeKitten wrote:

There's a LOT of people that remember Mitchell, you'd be surprised.

I would be surprised, but I suppose if they decided to have him in the film, they'd have to explain the story all over again in any event, because this is a reboot and the events from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" won't have taken place yet.