Topic: Have You Thought of E-Booking Your Steampunk Fiction?

I know I have been away for absolutely ages after my faux pas of a couple of years ago, so I hope people are not too upset if I return with a discussion point.

I doubt anyone will remember that I wrote some steampunk fiction: a full-length novel, a novella and some short stories.  Recently I have been encouraged to turn these into e-books and put them up on Amazon for sale on their Kindle service, though you can easily download the software on to your PC too.  I have put on a short story, as 'The Hannover Assassins', though it is based on 'The Grey Commission' I produced some years ago.  I have sold one copy, which is nice, making me 77p.

I wondered what people thought about this, whether it is wrong to try to make money out of steampunk stories and whether there is any point doing it through Amazon given the categories favoured there (44,000 titles in erotic e-books for example).  Has anyone else had experience of doing this?  I am wondering if it is worth continuing or whether it will actually mean more people closed off from steampunk fiction than simply putting it on a blog or whether it will raise the genre's profile.  I am in the midst of a sequel to my novel, so whether I put that out as an e-book too, remains something to be decided.  Anyway, just a thought.

Re: Have You Thought of E-Booking Your Steampunk Fiction?

Rooksmoor wrote:

whether it is wrong to try to make money out of steampunk stories

Why? People buy books, people buy e-books. There's nothing wrong with that. I know there's this anti-commercial sentiment in steampunk but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean people can't make money.

I don't read e-books but I know quite a number of steampunk fans who do. Can't say how much of a potential market there is though, but I imagine it's only growing steadily as people buy more and more tablet computers and the like.

Go for it - there's already a rising number of steampunk e-books becoming available, and some established 'punk authors are starting to produce specifically for the e-book format.

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

4 (edited by Otakuscott 2012-06-07 22:26)

My own novel The Game Called Revolution is *shamelessplug* available on Kindle and Nook for $2.99. Also check out the quarterly Steampunk Tales, which I am also in.

http://www.amazon.com/Called-Revolution … amp;sr=8-1

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-gam … revolution

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-Tales-I … f_dp_p_t_3

I have some experience with Kindle publishing, having a few titles published in the last year. I don't see anything wrong with publishing stories of any kind, so long as you are able to write a great story and can do your own professional editing and cover work or hire someone to do so. There's a lot involved in publishing your own work and there are no guarantees that your work will stand out in an overcrowded market even if you can produce work as good or better than what's traditionally published.

On the other hand, if you work hard and understand the business end of things, then you have an opportunity that you might not get otherwise. Self publishing is a booming business, although most of what's being put out is pure crap as far as well written, professional work goes. You have to write well, build an audience, and see if they will support you by purchases.

So is it worth doing? I'd say yes. I love writing and pretty much have to do it to stay sane. Is it easy? No. But like so many other things, what you put in determines what you get out of it.

Happy writing!

Non omnis moriar...
Website
Facebook
Twitter

Well said.

Otakuscott, thanks for the heads-up.  I have found it quite difficult to find out steampunk stories on there, so it is useful to have some names as you can then get on a thread from 'people who bought this, also bought ...'

8 (edited by Otakuscott 2012-08-09 22:27)

I frequently buy from Amazon's suggested Kindle list. My most recent "purchase" (it's actually free) was Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker. I also just posted a review of George Griffith's Angel of the Revolution on my blog.

I too don't see any issue with earning some cash from your work.
I actually own a kindle and a fair amount of kindle format steampunk books smile

10 (edited by Otakuscott 2012-09-13 22:34)

I just started a special promotion. From now until 09/13, you can dowload my novel The Game Called Revolution in its entirety for free by going to [promotion expired]. Download it. Read it. Tell me what you think.

You might have to copy and paste the link to your address bar for it to work.