Re: Get Involved

lord_k wrote:

Interesed in 'Arrested Development' feature?

I'll drop you an email about it.

Baxter the Dancing Fox ? big_smile

Steiner wrote:

Baxter the Dancing Fox ? big_smile

Follow up here.

The Lost City of Professor Thaddeus Lowe

You have probably heard of Professor Thaddeus Lowe, who was appointed by Abraham Lincoln to serve as the chief aeronaut for the Union Army Balloon Corps during the American Civil War.

After the war he moved to Los Angeles, California and teamed up with engineer David MacPherson to build the "White City" on Echo Mountain (above Altadena & Pasadena). They constructed a 3000 foot long funicular railroad from a station and hotel at the base in Rubio Canyon. A trolley car connected the main line in Pasadena with the new Rubio station.

Atop Echo Mountain, Lowe built another hotel, a zoo, an observatory, and a few other buildings. He mounted a “World’s Fair” searchlight on the funicular station to shine out over Los Angeles. Then they constructed a narrow-gauge electric trolley, called “railroad in the clouds,” to take White City visitors to the top of Mt. Lowe. He tried to get the rights to build the trolley to Mt. Wilson, but too many people owned property and he could not buy them out.

This city remained until 1938 when a record flood washed out the funicular. Everything has since been demolished.

It is possible to visit the site today by hiking up the Echo Mountain trail. I did back in 1992. There are historical markers to indicate the old buildings. The railroad is gone, but one can continue hiking to the top of Mt. Lowe, as well as to Mt. Wilson.

I would be surprised if even one percent of Los Angeles residents are even aware of this story.

It sounds quite fascinating! If you're interested in contributing an article on this topic to the Gazette, please, drop me an e-mail at n.ottens@gmail.com!

Ottens wrote:

It sounds quite fascinating! If you're interested in contributing an article on this topic to the Gazette, please, drop me an e-mail at n.ottens@gmail.com!

Ok. Thanks.

Some possible Diesel subjects:

Aircraft of the Golden Age (the 1920's and 1930's)
Examples: Stories about Elsa Andersson, Ruth Law, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, Howard Hughes, Pancho Barnes, Wiley Post

Stories about United States Route 66 "The Mother Road"
Examples: The fruit-picker's route to California during the Great Depression. The reincarnation of Route 66 - the Neon years.

More aviation biographies would be something I'd like to see. I did the Howard Hughes article a few issues back and think something following it int he fashion would be good

I made some Dieselpunk-Fantasy artwork. If anybody is interested in using it for the gazette, there's no problem.

http://lupus-ferus.deviantart.com/

Another thing; there's a Marvel comic series out called The Twelve, it follows the story of twelve superheroes frozen in an SS bunker at the end of the war and then defrosted in modern days; Captain America style, it's a good series so far, I've only read the first omnibus, there are two, and I can't seem to get the second yet. The characters are all Golden Age style superheroes, based on the likes of the Shadow and 1930s/40s Superman etc.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YhrLAYLQ8So/S … Twelve.jpg