Re: John Carter of Mars

I saw the movie yesterday (in 2D because I avoid 3D whenever I can) and I absolutely LOVED it!

I want my own Woola now smile

Apparently, Stephen Hunt might be in line for writing the new novels

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

They should give that job to Hugh Ashton, he's brilliant writing new Sherlock stories in his Deed Box series!

----

I reviewed the movie for the blog, you can read it here

14 (edited by Dr Damon Molinarius 2012-03-14 08:21)

The original books are pretty dire, to be honest - even without presentism.  They're badly written, and the over-riding impression is one of constant swordfighting. I read them last year in lovely musty old versions - I inhereted a crop of Burroughs and Rider Haggard novels, including the early Carter books and the 'She' series.

Hugh Ashton would be great - I loved Gray Skies, but haven't got to the pre/sequel yet

I reviewed that one actually.  Red Wheels Turning it's called, I quite enjoyed it. 

Well you've put me off reading the John Carter of Mars books right there smile

16 (edited by Dr Damon Molinarius 2012-03-14 12:50)

They're ok, just not well written - maybe too much going on in his mind to ensure that it was expressed well.  There nothing like even Conan Doyle, and certainly he was no Dickens or Verne...

I've been quitely looking for'ard to this film.I've never read the original stories though. I'm quite fond, in my own way, of the Robert E. Howard short stories and I know he took influence from the writer of John Carter of Mars. One of his short stories is very simmilar to the premise.

Well my review is up on our trusty blog, so if you're curious you can find it there smile

I enjoyed your review Hilde, and am now looking forward to the film even more. You mention it dwells a right ammount  on carter's backstory. I understand he was a CSA officer in the American Civil War in the original stories, is this the case with this film? If so, is there much of this part of his life in the film?

I've seen it today and, yes, they do make mention of his being in the Confederacy. One character, just by listening to him talk even narrows down, in a rough sense, what State he's from.

Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing