Re: 'Diesel' Music?

Jazz is good. There is of course also some excellent blues / boogie / bluegrass appropriate for different decades in the dieselpunk universe.. there is a bit of a gradual transition in music throughout the first half of the 20th century. It seems like every decade has its own distinct sound.. smile

i shall be incorporating music that in my view represents the "soundtrack" to a dieselpunk setting, so from futurist compositions, to some new jazz, blues and original soul, very early experimental and some slight rock/electronic as well as remixed war anthems and classical with a sprinkling of musique conrete and ambient here and there. I hope it shall not disappoint - expect some new and old artists on the list wink

And I look forward to continue this but with other memebrs making up their own comps smile

In Obscurum Reperio Veritas.

Win..

I need to find myself some good music, see if I can find enough to come up with a decent DP track list. I don't usually listen to music from the era, so i don't have a whole lot in my collection just yet..

Cory and Ottens's lists, pretty much sum up my 'dieselpunk playlist',  with some Chevaleur alongside the Pulp and Crosby alongside the Sinatra and the Rat Pack. And of course, Charles Trenet's La Mer.

Throw in the Soviet National Anthem and a few from the War Movies, and tere you have my collection. Mines' not worth a volume, thinks I piecraft, when you'll be doing all kinds of complex alterations and reworks and other phrases I don't understand, but I look forward to the result!

I've been listening to quite a bit of Swing lately, Artie Shaw is good, I like Vera Lynn and Glenn Miller too. And on the "other side" i like the epic Soviet and Chinese communist anthems. Some Italian fascist music is good too, such as Giovinezza (the unofficial national anthem whilst Musso was in power).

Which reminds me, there's a lot of great music in BioShock.  I remember having a list somewhere of all the 1930s and 40s songs that were put into the game, but I'm afraid I lost it for now....

The soundtrack of the game's pretty great too.

27 (edited by felneymike 2008-08-19 20:46)

I remember playing Mafia back in the day, there's some nice Swing in that too, which is what "got me into" the genre though i've only recently begun actively buying stuff XD

Oh and "March To Doom" from the original Command & Conquer is a great militant anthem, which can be found for download on numerous sites...

I would definitely like a download of that soundtrack, Piecraft.

Personally, since I tend to get a great deal of my music from video games, believe it or not, I have a few weird associations.  I simply can’t get enough of the soundtrack for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (available for free at http://stalker.filefront.com/file/STALK … ck;79030), which, despite being outside the era of dieselpunk, has what I believe to be the perfect mood accompaniment to an industrial-age apocalypse.

I also like to think that some of the music David Lynch has composed for his recent films, particularly Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, would also fit into the genre quite nicely, but so far I have yet to track down any soundtrack albums.

Just because you couch your game in steampunk doesn't mean you can just make stuff up.
-Unskippable on "Damnation"

oddly enough Trubetskoy you pretty much brought up some great examples of the type of stuff I'm compiling for the playlist smile

In Obscurum Reperio Veritas.

I'd like to put my hat forward for Ivor Novello smile

"...And Her Mother Came Too" (from the Gosford Park soundtrack, sung by Jeremy Northam):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVj5H7ULBY

I like my little ditties. Noel Coward and whatnot.

Sorry, left the Falcon in the Bentley. Right now, you answer to my Ronson T-T.

All hail Kremperpunk.