Topic: 'Diesel' Music?

Or should tht be period?

I was thinking, what constitutes to music in this genre? When I'm working on the jeep I usually have something fitting, to help me think of the 40s and 50s. So I have some Glenn Miller and other 40s favorites, classic jazz too, and for something a few years more modern; the Beach Boys (The epitome of the 50s/60s summer, no?) What do you think is classified as music of the genre? smile

Re: 'Diesel' Music?

I suppose 1920s and WW2 era Jazz would be appropriate.  I'm playing BioShock now, and that game has some nice music.  Space Captain Toby actually posted a link to a music collection from that game a while ago, in this thread.

Other than that, I'm not really sure....  So mostly Jazz wink

I suppose 60s music would be height-of-cold-war, so would that be 'Atomic' punk?

Perhaps Beat music is somewhat too cheery for the more dystopian diesel-/atomicpunk?

I love Jazz, especially experimental avant-garde Jazz smile

I'd disagree Ottens, to an extent, as it depends again on the extent to which the setting is dystopian. If we count Indy 4 as dieselpunk (not sure whether we do or not, more Pulp, no doubt?), it opens with up-beat 50s music as those kids in their chevy pass the rooskies.

I know if I were writing somekind of mid-cold-war 'atomic' era thing, it'd make some reference to the prevailing western culture of the time.

And yes. Jazz is good!, though I prefer classic and contemporary Jazz to the more avant guard stuff.

I wouldn't think Indiana Jones particularly dystopian.  Indeed, 50s beat music and the like would fit that setting perfectly.  However, in a world where WW2 is still being fought as some sort of prolonged Cold War, I'm not sure whether such music would become very popular.

But it did in the US/USSR Cold War. Culture moves on even in a Cold War, though it may well have taken a different turn. Also, the concept isn't restricted to the cold war you describe surely, but any kind of 'dystopian' plotline resulting from the War, or postwar era up until a ceertain date.

That's true.  I had thought the more cheerful music of the 1950s a sign of celebration and relief over the end of WW2, but it may well have been a reaction to the scariness of the Cold War at the same time.

Aye, like the andrews sisters, Colonel Miller and Vera Lynne's music was for the Blitz