Re: Disney and retrofuturisme and 'punk elements

The Tomorrowland of the original Disneyland in California was recently renovated to change it from the "world of the future" it had tried to update several times since the park's opening back to a "world of the future from the past" more consistent with the original feel of Tomorrowland. I'll see if I can get some pictures for you.

(There is also, of course, the Indiana Jones ride and the Victorian-era feel of Adventureland, between the Haunted Mansion, New Orleans Square, and other attractions that evoke the post-civil-war to the turn of the century.)

Quite near where I live is Beconscott Model Village, a rather smaller tourist attraction (in both senses!). It was built in the '30s, but up to about 1980 it was periodically updated in accordance with architectural trends. In 1980 or so they decided that modern architecture was so bloody ugly they ought to pull it all down and take the village back to 1940 again. It now looks quite nice.

You're absolutely right, that is what they're called! 

Frontierland is excellent.  A lot of the employees in Frontierland and Main Street wear quite steamy costumes too.  Although I must say I do feel sorry for them in the heart of summer when they must be boiling in them!

Jack wrote:

The Tomorrowland of the original Disneyland in California was recently renovated to change it from the "world of the future" it had tried to update several times since the park's opening back to a "world of the future from the past" more consistent with the original feel of Tomorrowland. I'll see if I can get some pictures for you.

(There is also, of course, the Indiana Jones ride and the Victorian-era feel of Adventureland, between the Haunted Mansion, New Orleans Square, and other attractions that evoke the post-civil-war to the turn of the century.)

Oh I'd LOVE to see photos, please do share them with us if you manage to take some!

Whenever I went they were allways dressed up for Halloween sad I wasn't impressed.

Oh I love Halloween in the Disney park.  I always dress up for Halloween there too smile

Most cast members are in their usual garb though.  But I must admit that the Halloween ones do stand out during the season.

The Hyperion looks like something by Jules Verne, I've seen it in the Jules Vernes House in Amiens, however the picture was too dark to put online.

Disney counts as a producer of Steampunk and similar movies, such as Treasure Planet. There are others, but I can't remember them because, indeed, you don't think of 'punk when Disney is mentioned.

Just call me Jack

As it turns out, my friend has already posted some images from her recent trip to Disneyland on her deviantArt account. These are linked with her permission:

Clockwork Rocket
http://tn1-3.pv.deviantart.com/fs25/150/i/2008/151/3/3/Clockwork_Rocket_by_Heterodyning.jpg

Clockwork Orbit
http://tn1-5.pv.deviantart.com/fs30/150/i/2008/151/f/a/Clockwork_Orbit_by_Heterodyning.jpg

She doesn't seem to have any pictures of the displays in the temple, but she does have a great shot of the interior painting and some other lovely pictures from the park. I'll see if she has those other photos available.

19 (edited by Hilde 2008-06-03 08:14)

Oh that's Orbitron: Flying Machines!
(well that's what ours is called, I don't know how they call the US version).
I LOVE that!
These photos are wonderful, thank you for your sharing them!

Yaghish wrote:

The Hyperion looks like something by Jules Verne, I've seen it in the Jules Vernes House in Amiens, however the picture was too dark to put online.

Disney counts as a producer of Steampunk and similar movies, such as Treasure Planet. There are others, but I can't remember them because, indeed, you don't think of 'punk when Disney is mentioned.

I so want to visit the Jules Verne house in Amiens!
Disneyland Paris is very Verne, with their Nautilus walk-through attraction and their Zeppelin smile

I really wish we had pics of Tokyo Disney's Mysterious Island for this thread, that really is superbly steamy.  They not only have a Nautilus but also an entire steampunk restaurant, stores and a really big walk-through ride based on Journey to the Center of the Earth (if I'm not mistaken).

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tds/ … c_map.html