Topic: Forum Chat

Talk about small things here that may not be deserving of their own thread.

I just came back from an Economic History lecture on the United States throughout the Revolution and Antebellum periods.  I was surprised to learn that the U.S.' economy relied greatly on the cotton agriculture in the South during that time;  I had always thought that the North was the most prosperous part of the country through the entire history of the U.S., judging from its victory in the Civil War and the speedy industrialization that subsequently ensued in that part of the country.  It might be interesting to note that our professor, a 70-something year old former entrepreneur, neglected to mention slavery almost entirely.....

Anyway, how was your day?  smile

Re: Forum Chat

I was just searching some tunes from one of my favorite bands, Avenged Sevenfold, and came across their newest video, "A Little Piece of Heaven". I wasn't going to post it, seeing as the song and video have some rather adult content, but I think y'all can handle it. big_smile

But before you click, let me warn you, though the song is basically about eternal love and all that good stuff, it has a VERY macabe and Tim Burton-esque feel with some murder, dark images and a little necrophilia.

"I really always knew my little crime would be cold so that's why I bought a heater for your thighs" should be a good note to start seeing this video. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, but if others who may be easily offended could watch, I'd probably refrain from clicking. 

But dammit, this is an awesome song. And the video is pretty fun, too. big_smile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qvLjZLWdTeU

Not quite my style, I'm afraid.  But then again, in terms of music I should probably have been born 50 years ago. 

The video's quite amusing though  wink

Currently half-watching The Empire Strikes Back -- as you know, the finest of Star Wars films.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1729/9780582438293dk2.th.jpg

Hmm... I think I might have my posters confused there...

Correct spelling might be "The Umpire stikes back".

"Chalkdust...!"

Music is only about 25 years back...

Just call me Jack

5 (edited by QueenAquaBubbles 2008-04-09 20:52)

I can't pick a favorite, I love them all!  As for Indian Jones though, Raiders of the Lost Ark takes the cake.

I shall provide you with a scene from my day.

Brother, 19 years old, enters house after being out with a friend.  QAB is sitting on a stool making jewelry.

BROTHER:  What's the meaning of life?

QAB: 42

BROTHER:  No. I said, "What's the meaning of life?"

QAB:  42

BROTHER: So for you, the meaning of life is "The Number 42"

QAB:  Not "The Number 42", just "42"

BROTHER:  That's what I said.

QAB:  No, you said "The Number 42".  I simply said "42".

BROTHER:  I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you and all you are saying is "42".  Then I'm just going to assume that you mean that you never think about what life means.

END SCENE

It's always sad when someone doesn't get a Douglas Adams quote...

þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

My motto

Agreed. On Saturday I was at a rave celebrating the first man in space (Yuri Gagarin) held in the Ontario Science Centre. One of two people I was making conversation with made a very amusing Douglas Adams reference, but it went right over the other person's head. Needless to say, I didn't really talk to that person much for the rest of the night...

I did, however, get to test paper airplanes with Dr. Robert Richards (founder of the Odyssey Moon X Prize team).

QueenAquaBubbles wrote:

BROTHER:  What's the meaning of life?

QAB: 42

BROTHER:  No. I said, "What's the meaning of life?"

Now how can someone not understand that?  It's so obvious.... *shakes head in disbelief* 

Colonel, wouldn't testing paper airplanes be rather frowned upon at a Science Centre?  I would not wish to question the scientific value of your experiments, of course, still I'm not certain whether everyone would understand, you see... wink

The only other answer is 23.

Just call me Jack

10 (edited by Col. Adrianna Hazard 2008-04-12 13:15)

Ottens wrote:

Colonel, wouldn't testing paper airplanes be rather frowned upon at a Science Centre?  I would not wish to question the scientific value of your experiments, of course, still I'm not certain whether everyone would understand, you see... wink

Ha ha, silly Ottens. They have vertical wind tunnels and stacks of paper for that exact reason! The idea is to teach kids about aerodynamics.

Yaghish wrote:

The only other answer is 23.

Ugh, 23.