Topic: Issue 21

http://www.ottens.co.uk/gatehouse/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Gazette21-231x300.jpg

The final print edition of the Gatehouse Gazette is now available for download. The issue provides a guide to the many possibilities for steampunk adventure that the age of imperialism has on offer.

From short biographies of three Great White Hunters to steampunk fiction in Africa, this issue is designed to thoroughly entertain the nostalgic imperialists among us. We also have a review of two recent Space 1889 adventures which clearly demonstrate that empire hasn’t to be confined to this Earth. Of course, Hilde Heyvaert provides the necessary fashion advise for when you’re planning an expedition to uncover whatever lost civilization while Marcus Rauchfuß explores the capital of an empire that’s often overlooked.

We also have two interviews, one with Simon R. Green, author of the neo-noir Nightside novels that have been extensively reviewed in previous editions of the Gazette, and another with Allegra Hawksmoor, until recently the chief editor of SteamPunk Magazine.

Click here or on the thumbnail to download this last edition!

Re: Issue 21

What can be said? It was a quality ending to an adventure we've all enjoyed I think. I particularly liked the Von Lettow-Vorbeck article.*

A toast to the Gazzette, the contributing writers, and my personal thanks and praise to the captain who sailed the good ship so far, my friend Nick Ottens.

*I own his biography, a great man, the article did him justice.

Second that!

Thanks to Marcus for posting about the release at his blog:

So, this wraps it up, now, enjoy our final work, maybe with a bottle of African beer, I suggest Mongozo, one of my favourite brands

I already wept over it...

Oh, I just noticed my piece on the EuroSteam Convention is not in. I just post it on the blog, then.

Jeez, you know grad school has eaten your life when the final issue comes out and issue #20 is still waiting on your desktop, waiting to be opened! I shall make an effort to get through them both this weekend, and expect to enjoy both just as much as I have enjoyed every previous issue.

I guess the only thing left to do is thank everyone who has contributed over the years to making the Gazette such an entertaining and informative publication. My hat is off to all of you, and my compliments to you, Nick, for pulling it all together for so long. It truly is an achievement that I'm certain will live on in the minds of many steam and diesel enthusiasts around the world smile

Col. Adrianna Hazard wrote:

I guess the only thing left to do is thank everyone who has contributed over the years to making the Gazette such an entertaining and informative publication. My hat is off to all of you, and my compliments to you, Nick, for pulling it all together for so long. It truly is an achievement that I'm certain will live on in the minds of many steam and diesel enthusiasts around the world smile

Seconded!

Oh, and youi are in grad school? How long until you PhD?

Marcus wrote:

Oh, I just noticed my piece on the EuroSteam Convention is not in. I just post it on the blog, then.

Oh my! I forgot about that! I'm so sorry -- I really do want to promote it. Feel free to advertise it all over The Gatehouse blog, sir! smile

Posted at The Steampunk Tribune:

Sadly, Mr. Nick Ottens, the editor of the respected and well-established Gatehouse Gazette, has released what is the final edition of perhaps the best online Steampunk magazine many enthusiasts of the genre have had the opportunity to enjoy.  In this final edition of the Gazette, one can indulge in excellent genre articles, such as possibilities of Steampunk adventure on the African continent, an excellent piece on Germany's "Lion of Africa", how trains introduced change into modern warfare [...]

I do wish to doff my hat to the efforts of Mr. Ottens, Dr. Molinarius, Miss Heyvaert, Mr. van Olffen, Mr. Piecraft, Mr. RauchfuB, Ms. McCleary, and all the countless contributors who made the Gatehouse Gazette indelible imprint on furthering Steampunk and Dieselpunk genres - Thank you.

Ottens wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Oh my! I forgot about that! I'm so sorry -- I really do want to promote it. Feel free to advertise it all over The Gatehouse blog, sir! smile

Posted at The Steampunk Tribune:

Sadly, Mr. Nick Ottens, the editor of the respected and well-established Gatehouse Gazette, has released what is the final edition of perhaps the best online Steampunk magazine many enthusiasts of the genre have had the opportunity to enjoy.  In this final edition of the Gazette, one can indulge in excellent genre articles, such as possibilities of Steampunk adventure on the African continent, an excellent piece on Germany's "Lion of Africa", how trains introduced change into modern warfare [...]

I do wish to doff my hat to the efforts of Mr. Ottens, Dr. Molinarius, Miss Heyvaert, Mr. van Olffen, Mr. Piecraft, Mr. RauchfuB, Ms. McCleary, and all the countless contributors who made the Gatehouse Gazette indelible imprint on furthering Steampunk and Dieselpunk genres - Thank you.

AAAAAH! They did it again! A capital B at the end of my name wink, this is not a B it is an ß... *sigh*

And about the Convention: I put the article up tonight, I will also see to it that there will be a picture.

Marcus wrote:

AAAAAH! They did it again! A capital B at the end of my name wink, this is not a B it is an ß... *sigh*

Ah, well, most of us don't know how to produce an "ß" and few people outside of Germany probably realize that a double "s" would suffice.

Mongozo, Marcus? hmm had you pegged as a Windhoek man.