Re: A European Steampunk Convention

Hmmm... Too bad. There are a few Dutch on Brassgoggles, though.

Hi there from Holland!

As fas as I can see, the Dutch "scene" is large enough to organise things themselves and they hook up with larger fantasy-, goth-, and pagan evenets such as the Elf Fantasy Fair (which hosted a "steampunk camp" last september). Their focus is on making stuff, dressing up and play their role (Cosplay). See the Steam Gears forum. Once the plans for Eurosteam got "hands and feet" I can inform there.

Then to the Place to Be. I'd say: let's see where people come from, then pick a place in the middle of it all that is good accessible by planes (larger international airport) and trains (stop of trans europe nighttrains and/or highspeed trains). From that point of view, Nantes is a bad choice.
I don't know if a con-in-many-places is a good idea. If you want it that way, be sure to get a place with excellent technique available. I think Museums and Disneyland are not quite suitable for such an event.

When I think about possible spots for such an occasion, my mind wanders of to:
- The Hague (Netherlands). Has infrastructure for international meetings in all sizes. Beautiful city with a "steampunk" feel due to many Jugendstil buildings. Same goes for Brussels (Belgium), which has better access to international transport.
- Munich (Bavaria). Very central in Europe.
- Geneve (Suisse)
- and something less well reachable: Charleville Mezières (northern France), the atelier of mr Eifel.

For a Europe-wide con, you need at least two days of activities. And thus a place for people to sleep in. From my experience, renting a few bungalows in a holyday-park is both cheap and comfortable, with enough privacy for families.

Just call me Jack

23 (edited by Marcus 2011-10-11 08:56)

As it appears now, there may be something in France, Germany and Spain. And maybe we put the German and French one together in Luxembourg, but this is only one option.
IThe Hague also is an option, especially once the UK people get back to me.
I have to get into closer contact with the French and Spanish guys, and I shall do this hopefully tonight or tomorrow, when my jaw stops throbbing.

I am missing two teeth and am less wise now than before.

I sure hope you'll get your two front teeth back this christmas! And the loss of wisdom explaines a lot. However, I'll try to get a reaction from other Dutch.

Just call me Jack

Yaghish wrote:

I sure hope you'll get your two front teeth back this christmas! And the loss of wisdom explaines a lot. However, I'll try to get a reaction from other Dutch.

Oh my word...

No, it was two teeth right at the back, wisdom teeth, to be exact.

And some more news: Two replies from Spain and one from Cambridge. Things are moving!

I've contacted friends in the German speaking realms of Europe and told them of this idea.

Just call me Jack

As far as I know, there is a European Steampunk Con discussed on Facebook. I'm not really at ease with the facebook, so I find it hard to discover who is behind that. Is that you guys?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/EuroStea … 4791332522
Their website is at http://eurosteamcon.com/Euro_Steam_Con.html

From the Dutch front there is some interest. But especially concerning a larger steampunk meet (a "place") at the Castlefest Fair, which will be held, I think, at the start of august 2012 (they usually celebrate the pagan festival Lammas on Castlefest). Those involved would like to know wether the "Smoking Lounge" initiative is the same as the "EuroSteamCon" initiative.

Whom can I contact to exchange mail addresses? It's better if those who handle the coordination communicate without me, because I hardly have the time for such things.

Just call me Jack

It's the same projects. You'll want to contact Marcus about it.

Should have mentioned this earlier:

Two weeks ago, I was contacted by the lawyer of the people behind Steamcon in the US and informed they had the legal rights to "steamcon" in the US and "eurosteamcon" would be too similar, I should therefore change it or they would consider legal steps.
I told them, the thing is called "eurosteamcon" not "steamcon" and I have the rights for "eurosteamcon" in Europe, which they do not have, there was neither a challenge nor an infringement to their copyright.

Well, the official way of writing is now EuroSteam Con, to make it absolutely clear, the stress is on eurosteam and not on steamcon. What is it with these people? Is there something in the water over there?

Seriously? That's a bit small.

Ah well, I like the sound of "EuroSteam" too.