Re: Book Club

Jawa wrote:

Okay, display images then

Here's how:

[ img ] URL [ /img ]

Do that without the spaces and your image should appear.

I've begun reading my first Hornblower novel -- Hornblower and the Hotspur

With the Peace of Amiens under strain and war with France under Napoleon Bonaparte imminent in May 1803, Hornblower is promoted from Lieutenant to Commander and appointed to command the sloop HMS Hotspur. While readying for sea, he hastily marries Maria, the daughter of his landlady, at the Garrison Church, Portsmouth. However, Hornblower marries her not out of love but out of pity, and is forced to exercise his acting ability to make her believe that he genuinely loves her.

Hotspur reconnoiters the approaches to the French naval base of Brest, and narrowly avoids capture when war is declared. Once the British fleet blockades Brest, Hornblower's restlessness and perfectionism prompts him to lead attacks and landing parties.

Much to my shame, I never read a C.S. Forester novel before, but I'm quite smitten with it already.  Indeed, I also purchased the Hornblower mini-series the other day and plan to watch them religiously.

Almost finished Hornblower and the Hotspur.  One more chapter to go, though oddly, it seems as if the climax has yet to come.  I'm not sure how Forester is going to deal with all that in just one more chapter, but I'm sure he'll pull off something credible, if not brilliant.

I had already watched the final episode of the Hornblower mini-series before reading the book, and though the two are quite similar, there are some minor differences which certainly don't lessen the quality of the episode, but reading the novel one understands the whole plot better.  One thing I liked about the mini-series is that Captain/Commodore Pellew continued to play an important role throughout Hornblower's career, while in the novel -- at least in the one I'm reading -- Pellew is hardly mentioned at all. 

So I'll be done with Hornblower tonight and after that, I have two more Flashman novels ordered!  Hopefully, they'll arrive Wednesday...

I agree with you about the miniseries, it handles recurring characters far better then the novels, although the general plot is at times lacking. It is definitly one of the better tv productions I have seen though.

You will never come up against a greater adversary than your own potential

Has anyone read Silk by Alessandro Baricco?

I read it a few years back;  in fact, my Literature teacher in high school (or at least our equivalent of it) recommended it to our class.  It's an extraordinary little work of fiction though unfortunately I found some of Baricco's other novels rather disappointing.

Anyway, apparently they made a film out of it featuring Keira Knightley!  (You know, one of the finest British actors today  wink  Her performance in Atonement was quite impressive.)  A review in my newspaper wasn't particularly positive, saying the movie was far too slow-paced and boring.  I just think the author of that review must be an idiot who can't understand a *good* film, but of course I have yet to see it...

My second Flashman novel arrived today:  Flashman and the Mountain of Light!

I've only read the first three or four chapters yet, but suffice to say it's equally hilarious and amusing as the last Flashman novel I read.

My brother Robin is really into Flashman, I believe he owns all the books.  I started reading in one once, but I'm afraid I didn't like it very much.

I do LOVE the cover artwork of the books though!

28 (edited by Cheshire 2008-05-05 07:54)

Ah, books.  My dear sweet home.

I will do my best to not drown y'all in book-goodness by keeping it to my current and related readings.

I am currently reading the newest offering by one of my favorites, China Mieville.  It's a 'young adult' book called Un Lun Dun, which follows a premise not unlike 'Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman (which I HIGHLY recommend), of an alternate London stumbled upon by an unwitting savior who doesn't even know that there's something to save!  I'm enjouing it so far, but it doesn't have the usual gritty and dystopic realism I've come to love of him... granted, it's a kids book, so I'm okay with it, but it was a bit of a shock to expect his usual style in some form, and get something completely different... but it's very enjoyable so far, and his plot and characters have more than made up for my startled discovery.

I've always loved his writing style, and his adult books are quite simply amazing.  I discovered him with his book Perdito Street Station, which was actually the second offering from his darkly rich world of Bas-lag, though the first that actually showed us the twisted city of New Croubizon.  Illicit drugs, fantastic science, huge amounts of steampunk, amazing races, dystopic society...  I can say no more, other than GO READ IT!!!

His next book that I found was King Rat, which was his debut novel.  He took the story of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' and made it oh so pretty.  Set in the darker side of London, he does what John Gardner did with 'Grendel', and tells the story from the point of view of the Son of the King of Rats.  Makes for quite an interesting conflict...

He's also written The Scar (a novel set in New Croubizon talking about the struggle of the Remade criminals which is an amazing commentary on social dynamic)...

And Iron Council (which takes place out in the wilds of Bas-Lag and touches on some pretty interesting thoughts and philosophies regarding the human condition).

Needless to say, I'm quite a large fan.

I should say so!  wink

I suppose Mieville can be considered quite the steampunk author?  Much to my shame, I've not read a single of his works, though King Rat was recommended to me on a previous occassion so I would gather it's quite an extraordinary work?

If you like alternative realms within London you might also like Simon R. Green's Nightside series.
These are the titles so far (in the correct order)
1. Something from the Nightside
2. Agents of Light and Darkness
3. Nightingale's Lament
4. Hex and the City
5. Paths not Taken
6. Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth
7. Hell to Pay

It's about, as you no doubt guessed, the Nightside; the sick perverted heart of London where it's always night and everything is possible.  It has a distinct film noir style to it.  The main character is a dective called John Taylor, who is only half human and has the gift of finding everything and everyone.  Most of the other characters also have some kind of supernatural ability, and quite a few aren't even human.

It sounds increadibly cheesy but it's actually, really REALLY good.