Re: Book Club

What about "The Hitch hiker's guide to the Galaxy"?

Steiner wrote:

I read (And thus own) all the 'Flashy' books last summer. In my humble view, there is no funnier fiction. Not even Discworld. They are my favorite books. Flash Harry is my Hero. That is all wink

Agreed absolutely!

(Even though I only read the first half of one volume so far.....)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  I never read, but I'm told it's amazing.

I'm afraid that I found the Flashman series more funny, I got far more big 'laugh-out-loud' moments from each book than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I still think it's a great book; particularly the part where the missiles turn into a whale and a bowel of jerrainiums(sp?)..."Oh not again" big_smile

Ottens wrote:

It's a nice cover.  And the premise sounds quite interesting -- could you tell us a bit more about it?

It is a philosophy text, but is light enough for the average reader. He takes a look at two big cities - New York and Shanghai - and how people live in them. The book explores the ideas of public space, commercial architecture and celebrity architects, as well as thresholds and how we define inside vs outside. The writing style is very interdisciplinary and uses 2nd person and pop culture references to draw you in.

By the by, Hitchhiker's Guide and the other four books that make up the "trilogy" are absolutely wonderful. Some of my favourite books of all time.

I'm afraid that I find the last two books a bit too trippy but the first three are great. Anyone read the spinoff Starship Titanic. It's recommended.

Another book I have read over the past few weeks is Harry Turtledoves Days of Infamy.[imgI'm afraid that I find the last two books a bit too trippy but the first three are great. Anyone read the spinoff Starship Titanic. It's recommended.

Another book I have read over the past few weeks is Harry Turtledoves Days of Infamy. The story goes as follows: The attack on Peal Harbor is followed by a Japanese invasion of the Hawaii Islands. The book then proceeds to showcase this battle and the following occupation beautifully, both among the different militaries and the civilians on the islands. Particularly interesting is the conflict within the Japanese community on Hawaii, as the elder and younger generations clash (which is an intersting showcase on divided loyally). The happenings feel realistic, although the book never elaborates on the rest of the conflict.

All in all a great read for those who like alternate history. Currently reading the second book of the dualogy End of the Beginning.

You will never come up against a greater adversary than your own potential

^ You seem to have gotten some things messed up there.... wink  As for a novel based upon the Starship Titanic game, I had idea it existed!  I began writing on an Airship Titanic short story a while back after watching the Titanic film for the so-manyth time.  Should be somewhere down here in this forum....

I finished my Flashman and the Great Game yesterday, and though I already elaborated a bit on it earlier in this thread, I must state again that it is the most wonderful novel indeed!  It's very historically accurate, with the book I read detailing events from the Indian Mutiny, and all with all a fine recreation of the glory that was the British Empire!  Obviously, I'm now seeking further copies of this excellent series.

17 (edited by Jawa 2008-04-12 19:50)

Mess up! I never mess up. Unless you count that img, which is a result of my utter failure at technical competence. Seriously, why am I the only person on the planet who can't upload a friggin picture to forum?

18 (edited by Col. Adrianna Hazard 2008-04-12 19:13)

Today I finished the final volume of The Sandman comic series by Neil Gaiman.

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/SANDMAN_WAKE-01.jpg

This 10 volume work (11 if you count the final, epilogue-like volume of short stories) is easily one of the greatest achievements in the history of comics. It is a literary and intellectual masterpiece, full of historical references and allusions to classic books. It is the only comic to have ever won The World Fantasy Award and become #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List.

http://savetherobot.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/sandman.gif

The stories told in the volumes all somehow relate to Morpheus, an aspect of Dream (The Sandman) and the rest of his family, the Endless (Destiny, Death, Destruction, Desire, Despair and Delirium). The first volume is slightly awkward to read, but by the final issue contained in it the comic has found its stride, and really sets the bar for all comics following it.

I highly recommend it to all of you, even those who wouldn't normally consider reading a comic book.

The title sound quite familiar.  I recall that they considered making it a film a while ago, but I don't believe one was ever produced.

Well, I'm quite fond of comic books, particularly ones filled with numerous allusions and references to literature or real events wink, so this might be an interesting purchase indeed.  Thank you for the recommendation!

Jawa wrote:

Seriously, why am I the only person on the planet who can't upload a friggin picture to forum?

YOu're not quite the only one.  You see, you can't upload images to this forums........ wink

20 (edited by Jawa 2008-04-13 11:16)

Okay, display images then