Re: The Peril of Power 2: "Red Cloud on the Horizon"

OTTENS, JULY 31, 2007

When Tusk had left the room it appeared as if his thoughts were elsewhere, and Roger seemed rather disappointed of Tusk's lack of interest.  "Another game then?"  asked Isaac, after he had lit a new cigarette.

Mina shrugged her shoulders slightly.  She didn't care much for more blackjack, but she wasn't tired yet.  Fortunately Arabella didn't feel like playing another game too:  "I suggest we just settle for drinks,"  she said.  Isaac nodded.  "Sure."

Alfred silently entered the room, and held a small silver tray in front of Mina.  "A telegram for you, Miss."  Mina picked it up, and read:

DEAR MINA STOP YOU WAS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS OBJECTED TO MY DISCARDMENT AND I AM THE FAREST PERSON TO YOU KNOWING STOP YOUR SECRET STOP SO I PRESUMED THEN WE ARE SOME SORT OF FRIEND STOP I HAVE SOME INFORMATION TO COMMUNICATE YOU STOP I HEARD THAT YOU ARE PRESENTLY IN A PERSONAL INQUEST ABOUT THIS STOP KILLER POET STOP WE ALL HEARD SO ABOUT STOP I HOPE WE CAN FIND AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN STOP IMORTAL STOP YOUR KIND EX-COLLEAGUE STOP LORD PIERRE DUPRE

Mina lay down the paper and she must have been gazing at it for some time when Arabella inquired:  "What is it?"

Awaking from her bubble of thoughts, Mina answered,  "A message from an old friend..."  She hesitated.  "Who perhaps has information on Ignatieff."

"What kind of information?"  asked Isaac.

"I'm not sure.  I presume he didnt feel comfortable telegraphing what he knows....  I'll have a message returned, request we rendezvous."

"Where is this 'friend' of yours then?"  It was Arabella inquiring this time.

"French Polynesia, probably.  The telegram's sent from Tahiti."

"But that will take us off-course from lizard's island!"  said Isaac, who had continued to shake cards, but now his cigarette nearly fell from his lips.

"Yes, we'll be delayed slightly,"  admitted Mina,  "but if he possesses information on the Count, we should not ignore it."

Though both her associates seemed unhappy with the thought of arriving any later than necessary, they both realised that Mina was right and thus didn't object further.  "If you'll excuse me,"  said Mina in an almost whispering voice as she stood up.  She started walking toward the telegraph room and found herself somewhat unsettled.  Pierre's telegram brought back memories, memories which she had tried to forget.  She had never thought about seeing him again, and now a meeting seemed inevitable, and that wasn't something she was looking forward to.

COL. ADRIANNA HAZARD

Unable to sleep that night, Arabella had put her clothes back on and wandered out to the deck of the Peril. The night breeze was blowing gently and the chilly air carried dead leaves from their homes on the nearby trees, depositing them in Berlin's many evestroughs and sewer grates. She tired of staring at the gloomy buildings and closed her eyes, opening them just seconds later at the sound of footsteps approaching from behind. She turned around to find...

HAC

Roger, stepping out of the lounge. He had not seen her, for he stepped over to the railing and leaned on it, resting his hands on the worn mahogany. He took a cheroot from a silver cigarette case, and put it in his mouth.
  Arabella turned away for a moment, looking at the grim city. She heard the scrape and saw the flare of a lucifer as Roger struck a light.
  She turned to look at him, and saw him take the cheroot from his lips and exhale a cloud of smoke.. He to seemed to be staring at the city, looking for meaning, or perhaps a sign. She watched as he returned the cheroot to his lips and saw the coal flare as he inhaled deeply. It was then she noticed that as he smoked, his hands had not left the railing.....
She must have made a slight noise, a sharp intake of breath. Roger must have heard, for he took the cheroot in his right hand. He pinched out the coal with the thumb and forefinger of his left hand, and once assured the fire was out, he placed the but back into the cigaratte case for disposal later.
    He bowed slightly..
"Good evening, Miss Arabella, may I be of any assistance?"

MRFATS

Isaac, left alone once more, sighed in frustration. Again, they had left him alone. Finishing his drink, he left to his room. The bits of text Walter and Tusk had provided only contained scant bits of useful information. Laying his head upon his pillow, he closed his eyes and attempted to drift off to sleep.

Walter sat at his work bench. He had finished, finally. All the devices were in order, and he decided to get a bit of fresh air. He spotted Roger and Arabella on deck, and strolled over "Evening Miss Arabella, Mr. Smythe. Would you mind some extra company?" Removing his pipe from his bag, he stoked it, and inhaled deeply.

COL. ADRIANNA HAZARD, AUGUST 1, 2007

Arabella was visibly tense when she answered Roger's question: "I am not in any need of assistance, thank you Major." Noticing movement from the corner of her eye, she attempted to relax.

"Evening Miss Arabella, Mr. Smythe. Would you mind some extra company?" said Walter as he came to stand between them, fiddling with his pipe.

"Not at all, Walter," replied Roger genially.

Arabella remained silent, but fixed Roger with a questioning gaze. "How did he do that?" she wondered to herself.

LAZARAS, AUGUST 3, 2007

All in all, Thought Julian as he and his fellow shanghiees were shovling coal into the airship's furnace, I've had better weeks. It'd started out fairly decently, he was having drinks with a few locals in a pub in southern Italy doing what he did best, tell wild and lurid stories to entertain, and maybe pay for part of his tab. The last thing he remembered after taking his leave for the night was being 'escourted' by this lovely lass to the door. Of course the memory itself wasn't nearly that clear and half the time he thought she had talked him into following her, the other half he could've sworn that he had been jumped by three brutes from behind. Either way here he was, press ganged into serving for a captain he didn't know, on an airship who's destination wasn't clearn, and he wasn't sure on if they'd let him leave after the current job was done, or if they'd try selling him in singapor or Nippon or something like that.

Coal dust covered every exposed inch of his skin, broken only where sweat ran down in rivulettes. Most of the others morousley accepted their lot, thinking that they'd be let go once they reached port. Julian had noticed that none of these people had any real material wealth and were, for the most part, travelers with essentially the same story. Each had followed some comely lass and woke up in leg irons

"Land! Land Ho!" The cry originated above-decks but was soon relayed to everyone below, including Julian and his fellow conscripts.

This is what Julian had been hoping to hear. Granted it didn't matter where the ship sunk really. However he had already spent five years in the ocean and while he wouldn't feel any time passing he'd rather nto spend Heaven alone knowsh ow long before washing up on land and doing his ressurection trick. Of course this line of reason immidiatly made him wonder, yet again, how he was going to bring thsi ship down.

He smiled as the proverbial Edisonian Device(Lightbulb) went off. They were where the boiler was...and boiler explosions tend to result in a fiar bit ofcollateral damage. He didn't like what was goingto happen but he saw no other option, God would forgive him.

He quickly pulled the man next to him over by the chain that connected he and his shift-partner togehter. "Everybody, stay put or i kill this man!"

OOC: I'll edit later to finish the post. can't stay on right now.

MRFATS

Walter stood there, admiring the view. Arabella and Roger were there as well, with Roger and his cigar. Arabella looked a bit confused, but Walter decided to pay it no mind. "Mr. Smythe, Miss Arabella I take it we shall be arriving at some destination soon. These...these legs of mine sorely miss walking along the earth." Walter exhaled, a billow of smoke cascading across the railing, disappearing into the air. Walking about the deck for a bit, he arrived in his original place, inhaling from his pipe once more.

Meanwhile

Isaac had trouble sleeping. Then again, he always had trouble sleeping, ever since...well, best not to think about it. He sat in his room, rather lonely, staring out a window upon the night sky, watching the occasional light, and distant cloud. The moon's ivory glow cast light on the ship and his now dimly lit room. "We shall be there soon, and..and perhaps I can finally gain peace, and let Victoria rest in eternal slumber as well." He thought, a bit troubled by the fact he was actually returning to the island. It had been a constant source of motivation and suffering,to finally return....

His mind continued to fill with other such thoughts throughout what seemed to be a very long night.

LAZARAS

ooc: Picking up where I left off

The two guards looked in disbelief as Julian held one of his fellow captives by the throat. "Everybody stay where you are!" the man seemed quite disconnected from his mind, after all didn't he know that their lot were completely expendable?

What they didn't realize was that while Julian had the man by the neck he was whispering the man's last rites. These were the last words the man heard as the first bullet caught him in the spine, lodging there. Lazaras used the man as a shield as he awquardly rushed the two guards. He had hoped to shove the now dead man's body at them as a diversion, but the chain connecting the two wasn't long enough for such an act. He instead settled for using the man's considerable bulk as a shield, then battering ram as he crashed into the first of the two guards.

The other was hovering just out of melee range as he was struck by indecisivness. Here a derranged man was assaulting a compatriate of his and, by all rights he should kill the prisoner to end the situation. Unfortunatly friend and foe were too intertwined to risk the shot for fear of killing both, hence his current dilema. By the time he gained wits enough to use a nearby wrench (of appropriate largness and heft to act as an effective blunt weapon) there were two gunshots echoing loudly in the confined room. The first lodged itself in the prone guard's head, killing him. The seconed apparently went wild but, due to skill, or more likely luck, it strick the seconed guard in the chest.

Having dispatched both captors Julian paused to marvel at the apparent ease of things thusfar. Had they been operating under full steam the room would have been full with both conscripts and guard alike along with men ready to hit the wall mounted teargass switch. As luck would have it it was just the four of them manning the boiler so that ment that, for the moment at least, there was little fear of reprisal. that moment Julian took to secure the keys one of the guards had and undid his restraints.

Faced with momentary freedom and a ship he knew he could not escape Julian's situation appeared hopeless, at first anyway. Taking a look around and dragging through his recent memories to locate the main pressure valve for the boiler he closed it off completely then ran to the door, spun the wheel lock fast. Knowing that this would not hold anyone determined to get through he set to work feeding the boiler's fire to hasten the buildup of steam. At first the voices coming through the speaking tube were questioning, then growing increasingly alarmed as time passed untill....

KABOOM!

CHICAR

Pierre wait hours and hours in the only place it can hope an answer to his telegram, the same place he send it, finally the clerk call.

The telegram only say: Will pick you up stop wait in the market place tommorow night stop

'' your friend is not very talky i see.'' say the clerk.

''just say she don't expect a message from me'' say pierre.

LAZARAS, AUGUST 4, 2007

Falling.

That was the last that Lazaras remembered before the handrail went through his chest. He didn't have time to ponder on the fate of everyone else really. However if he did itsl ikely he would have pushed guilt aside by the fact that they are not dead, they've merely gone on to what's next. His situation, however, was quite different. As the airship crashed it split open, spilling its contents (along with himself) across the jumgle floor before crashing.