Re: help needed: Weird War/occult Dieselp. books?

Great! Thanks. Saw your mail and replied wink

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help...

redfezwriter wrote:

Ah Beauregard, I would be more than glad to send an e-Book (PDF) copy of "Tales of the First Occult War"  for gratis.

Ditto for any other Gatehouse members in good standing, just let me know.

I'd love a copy, Sir, if you'd be so kind!

xeoran wrote:

Grant Morrison's 'Zenith' is set in the 1980's but has a flashback to the 1940's when Britain's superhero fought Germany's.

I loved Zenith - for those not in the know, think Watchmen set in the UK at the end of the 20th Century.  Also out at the same time in one of 2000AD's sister publications, and linked to it, was The New Statesmen, set in the USA.

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

My only problem with Zenith was that like so much 1980's literature it was so rabidly anti-Thatcher. Which just made it feel tired simply because one read so many anti-Thatcherite screeds that it got on the nerves. Otherwise it was hugely enjoyable, one of 2000AD's best.

redfezwriter wrote:

Ah Beauregard, I would be more than glad to send an e-Book (PDF) copy of "Tales of the First Occult War"  for gratis.

Though I'm currently reading a book, I couldn't wait and started reading the pdf a bit. So far I finished the first two stories.
"Crete" is great. Due to the island invasion theme is gets a form "Navarone meets Occult" touch (I love that one!!!). And you did a great job in describing the the main character Gio. I will have to be finishing the other book I'm reading now to then read the pdf completely! smile
Thanks again!

Beauregard wrote:

"Crete" is great. Due to the island invasion theme is gets a form "Navarone meets Occult" touch (I love that one!!!). And you did a great job in describing the the main character Gio. I will have to be finishing the other book I'm reading now to then read the pdf completely! smile
Thanks again!

Beauregard, thanks so much for diving right in. I am glad you enjoyed the Crete story. As always, keep up the reading and I am eager to hear what your overall impressions will be. Thanks for reading!

@redfezwriter:
btw - where is the cover art (seen on amazon) taken from?

oh, and feedback is the minimum I can give you back for giving out the pdf wink

Beauregard wrote:

@redfezwriter:
btw - where is the cover art (seen on amazon) taken from?

oh, and feedback is the minimum I can give you back for giving out the pdf wink

The Amazon cover is from a Nazi-era anti-Soviet propaganda poster.

18 (edited by Beauregard 2010-03-04 12:17)

I finished your book yesterday, redfezwriter. Once again thank you very much for sending it to me. Overall it was just nearly exactly what stories I love to read.
You have a very, hmmm... how to say...?, illustrative way of writing and the stories directly were somewhat visible in my imaginery.

Further I highly enjoyed that you weaved many different aspects of mythology into the stories and didn't just took "standard" approaches (in terms of: germans sticking only to norse myths, e.g.).

Besides the already mentioned "Crete", my fave stories were:
"Lemnos" with the cool idea of Hephaestus' automatons (oh, and I, too, am using Sebottendorf as a character in the novel I'm writing on since Nov. 2008, hehe - a person with great "fictional potential").

and

"Palestine". With the QNG you have created something with a lot of further potential in my opinion. I can see comics or even animated series showing the missions of the QNG! besides that the overall story was just great and finely crafted!

Also the basic ideas behind the "London" and "Los Angeles" stories were very cool.

Those I didn't like so much (but they were still at least quite good) were "Brcko" and "Moscow". "Brcko" wasn't somewhat deep enough imo and regarding "Moscow" - I personally am just a bit tired of the whole "undead" thing ;-)
Oh, but I loved the appearance of P38 Lightnings in Brcko - my fave fighting aeroplane wink

So, I hope you are going to write a lot more and maybe even a "full" novel. Palestine for instance offers great possibilities of becoming a "full length" (again - imo...)

Beauregard wrote:

I finished your book yesterday, redfezwriter. Once again thank you very much for sending it to me. Overall it was just nearly exactly what stories I love to read.
You have a very, hmmm... how to say...?, illustrative way of writing and the stories directly were somewhat visible in my imaginery.

I can only bow with the deepest appreciation and thanks. Thank you very much for the feedback, thoughts and comments. I am humbled.

As for the QNG....stay tuned, they will be breaking out on their own very, very soon.

Not sure if these would fit into what you are looking for.

Lamas Night, by Kathy Kurtz.
It deals with British occult groups attempting to create a cone of protection over the British Isles. The reasoning behind it is that the German High Command may attempt to use occult methods to boost the efforts of the London bombings.

Pulp Heroes: More Than Mortal. Not really an occult novel. It's more of a pastiche pulp novel where the author's versions of Doc Savage, The Spider, The Shadow, and, The Avenger, must unite to fight off the author's version of The Red Skull.
IMO, the best pulp pastiche ever written.

The mark of the superior individual is their use of their superior judgement to avoid situations requiring their superior skills.