1 (edited by Beauregard 2010-02-01 11:38)

Topic: help needed: Weird War/occult Dieselp. books?

Ok, I'm a great fan of all this weird war stuff found in some Dieselpunk related movies and comics.

You know - germans (or any other nation but they are best suited I guess wink ) trying to gain world domination by using occult and esoteric forces like in Hellboy, in the Indy movies, Captain Gravity, Life Eaters & War Of the Undead comics etc.pp.
With the preferred setting of WW1 or WW2

I don't know that many books and comics dealing with this themes, so maybe some people here can help me out with some recommendations which books and comics I should have to look out for.
The more "fantasy/occult" stuff included - the better (Hellboy has just the right mix, e.g.)

Here's a list of the few stuff I already know.
Books:
The Bloody Red Baron (man, I LOVE this book!!!)
The Judas Cross
The Spear
Devils of D-Day
They Used Dark Forces
some stuff of "G8 and his Battle Aces"

Comics:
Cpt. Gravity
Hellboy & BPRD
The Rocketeer
War of the Undead
The Life-Eaters

I guesss (and hope) there are tons more of this stuff to be found.
Any ideas? smile

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help...

Re: help needed: Weird War/occult Dieselp. books?

You seem to have listed pretty much all the titles I know from memory.

neutral too bad... I had though there must be many, many more...

Oh, I'm sure there must be lots more pulp stories of this kind around.

One suggestion I can offer though: The Nameless Nazi

Not a story in itself, but has a few small entrees of speculation, the book 'My Tank Is Fight' records many strange and unusual weapons from the second world war, with small extracts written in a pulp-style on how they may have been had they been deployed. It includes the monstrous tanks, U-cruiser, personal helicopter backpacks and so on. Rather good.

"My Tank is Fight" is already in my bookshelf wink (the name "Maus" for that behemoth is chosen perfectly big_smile )But I'm going to check out the link mentioned by Ottens later the day.
Thanks.

Well, I think you hit the seminal works on the subject. You would think the occult angles (whether from inside the Reich or those battling) would be deep waters for writers to fish from (considering the current Emo vampire craze as an example.)

But I digress.

I can think of a few off the top of my head (and Amazon.uk) like a new book called Sisterhood of the Rose by Jim Marrs, Midnight Guardian by Sara Jane Stratford and Atomic Robo as well.

And a shameless plug for my own book Tales of the First Occult War. smile

NOVELS:
Aside from 'Devils of D-Day', Masterton also wrote a horror novel called 'Tengu' which is pretty decent stuff. You've mentioned one of Wheatley's 'Gregory Sallust' novels, all of which contain the occult and many of which are set during the war. Then there is a series of novels by David Bishop called 'Fiends of the Eastern Front' about vampires (also a novel about Japanese vampires and a comic book on which the novels were based).

COMICS:
I'm damned if I can remember the name but there was a fairly recent comic featuring angels and the Spear of Destiny. Lots of old British war comics had elements of the weird: human torpedos, Nazi robots at the North Pole, armoured fighting frames, huge bombardment cannons, super-sniper rifles etc. But they're incredibly difficult to find and very badly documented so I can't really point you in any directions. There's '30 Day of Night: Red Snow' about vampires on the Eastern Front, though not everyone likes Ben Templesmith's art style. If you're looking for retro there's the old US series 'The Haunted Tank' about...a haunted tank. Grant Morrison's 'Zenith' is set in the 1980's but has a flashback to the 1940's when Britain's superhero fought Germany's. Alan Moore's 'Top 10: The Forty Niner's' is about superheroes returning home from WW2. Then there is another comic called 'The Lost Squad' which features occultists, spider tanks and so on. Its fairly harmless fun.

AUDIO:
There are also radio dramas. I can think of two, both BBC. 'The Scarifiers' is technically set in the late 1930's but features British occult detectives, secret RAF projects and horrors from beyond the stars. There was another series called 'Slipstream' about a British Commando team hunting a Nazi flying saucer. Neither is brilliant but they're both fairly fun and worth a listen. There is also 'The Quatermass Memoirs' which is a mix of drama and interview with Nigel Kneale who created the Quatermass TV dramas that, whilst set just after WW2, are excellent, very close to the period and are full of interesting material (I can't recommend them enough!)

There are more, plenty more, but I'll have to rack my brains to remember them all. Hope this helps for now.

9 (edited by Beauregard 2010-02-02 15:17)

redfezwriter wrote:

And a shameless plug for my own book Tales of the First Occult War. smile

no need to be ashamed - sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Is it available also on amazon Germany? Or could I maybe order it directly by you?

@xeoran:
Thanks for the detailled reply smile
I remember seeing "Red Snow" at my local comic dealer but I had completely forgotten about it till your post. So thanks for that. Also "The Lost Squad" I already have seen somewhere ina shelf at the store. Going to check that again. Sounds cool!
When back home I'm going to check out all the other stuff you (and the others) mentioned.
And please - keep your brain rotating until you remember the comic's name you mentioned (the one with the Spear). THAT sounds great! big_smile

edit:
if any german people here on the forum are reading this - if you're looking for a fantastic audioplay with such a theme, look out for the series "Die Schwarze Sonne"
http://www.die-schwarze-sonne.de/
A haunting series spanning from the 19th century over to the present time and incorporating lovecraftian stuff as well as the mentioned occult WW2 issues. The story is told with three timelines all having to do with the greater plot. Absolutely brilliant speakers, good music etc.

Ah Beauregard, I would be more than glad to send an e-Book (PDF) copy of "Tales of the First Occult War"  for gratis.

Ditto for any other Gatehouse members in good standing, just let me know.