Re: Snow! There's snow!

Tradition! That's what christmas is all about.

You will never come up against a greater adversary than your own potential

Ha lol  If only it were planned indeed.

Col. Adrianna Hazard wrote:

Hah, it started snowing here two weeks ago or so. It is always nice to watch the first big fluffy flakes falling. Unless your live somewhere in Canada that isn't Toronto and get buried in two or three feet of the stuff during the first snow of the year big_smile

As a member of "Little Canada" (further north than you, down there in Toronto!), I wholly agree with this statement.

However, I am now in the lower peninsula of Michigan where they don't seem to have fully grasped what snow means... We Yoopers are quite good at driving in the snow, I often forget that most people aren't...

Sean Schönherr, author of Cinema is Cinema

Ottens wrote:

Ok, my country's in chaos. We hardly got a centimeter of snow, and traffic's jammed, trains have stopped running and the worst part is: I have to get home tomorrow.

How is it that every single winter, everyone freaks out when there's a tiny bit of snow?

You should see Kansas City during the first winter storm.  A couple of news stations panic and tell everyone it's the end of the world, the grocery stores become standing room only, and every city hall in Kansas City and the metro area replies "Snow?  What is this 'snow' you speak of; I have never seen this."

I'm going to need a bigger stick.

Col. Adrianna Hazard wrote:

Hah, it started snowing here two weeks ago or so. It is always nice to watch the first big fluffy flakes falling. Unless your live somewhere in Canada that isn't Toronto and get buried in two or three feet of the stuff during the first snow of the year big_smile

My boss (who is in Calgary) took a few days off and is taking his wife and kids dog sledding in the plentiful snow of western Alberta. 

We've only had a few frostings down here in southwestern Ohio.  :-)

The worst thing in the UK is the 4x4 cars. They are mostly driven by middle-class women to take their children to school and buy the shopping, and clog the roads up throughout the year.  And then, when the snow lands, these people are incapable of driving their enormous 4x4s in conditions for which they are actually designed for, and cause much more disruption on the roads...

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

Ah yes, the same phenomena exists over here. Why buy an SUV anyway when all you use it for is regular driving? I don't find SUVs particularly appealing, design-wise.

18 (edited by Mechanurg 2009-12-18 14:47)

I drive a Opel Zafira (Vauxhall Zafira for the Brits) and this morning I really wanted to have one of those Mercedes Geländewagen 4x4 that I used in Kabul. Yes, they had cleared the snow from our street, but by creating a two feet tall icy ridge along the row of garages at the end of the street. I got through it, yes, but I was annoyingly close to get stuck. sad

AFGHANISTAN 2009
I walk through the dry hills
I hold the little girl's hand
I wrestle the wildfire
I share the pain
Because if not I, who? If not now, when?

Ottens wrote:

Ok, my country's in chaos. We hardly got a centimeter of snow, and traffic's jammed, trains have stopped running and the worst part is: I have to get home tomorrow.

Ha, I had a similar moment of disbelief when I traveled in Italy a few years ago. On the way back from a day trip in Venice to our hotel in Florence, it started snowing a tiny little bit (this was in March). We hoped on the bus and it started heading back. I quickly fell asleep after such a long, cold day wandering alongside the canals, and woke up to find that the bus hadn't moved in almost an hour! The traffic was horrible, and it took twice as long as it should have to get back. All of this over less than 2 cm of snow. Two centimetres!

I know! It's dreadful.

Fortunately, my train was only delayed 15 minutes yesterday but I heard the day before was awful. Around the city of Utrecht, which is pretty much the hub of all railroads besides Amsterdam, no trains could move at all. roll