Topic: Best Opening Lines

To a book or film?

As I've stated elsewhere, I love Stephen King's opening line in the Dark Tower series - "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed"

Lots of SP in the series as a bonus!  Oh, and someone 'lego'd this line!

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

Re: Best Opening Lines

"Who is John Galt?"

3 (edited by Trubetskoy 2009-11-20 17:51)

"The changeling's decision to steal a dragon and escape was born, though she did not know it then, the night the children met to plot the death of their supervisor."

-Michael Swanwick, The Iron Dragon's Daughter

Just because you couch your game in steampunk doesn't mean you can just make stuff up.
-Unskippable on "Damnation"

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

Ooh, or: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
I loved that one.

Swedish thriller writer Jan Guillou opens one of his stories with: "All previous times he had tried to kill a woman, he had failed."

Chilling starter. (Extremly hard-boiled expression in Swedish.) Expected gruesomeness follows.

AFGHANISTAN 2009
I walk through the dry hills
I hold the little girl's hand
I wrestle the wildfire
I share the pain
Because if not I, who? If not now, when?

A bit of necromancy, as I go through the years of topics I've missed. The one opening line that always sticks with me is the beginning of Terry Goodkind's Chainfire:

"How much blood is his?"

And if I may be allowed a bit of self indulgence, from a writing project I unfortunately abandoned long ago:

"Erik Constlye leaned over the edge of the AMORAX’s balcony and tried to scream."

"Howard Roark laughed."

thewilbur wrote:

"Howard Roark laughed."

Hey! I just started rereading The Fountainhead a couple of days ago. big_smile

Col. Adrianna Hazard wrote:

Ooh, or: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
I loved that one.

ah yes, Neuromancer. Awesome book. And I do consider that to be quite an awesome opening line too; it just fits the book so well.

(actually, that was the line I was going to use; I can't really think of another one right now) I'm sure I'll come up with one soon though.

Ottens wrote:
thewilbur wrote:

"Howard Roark laughed."

Hey! I just started rereading The Fountainhead a couple of days ago. big_smile

That's cool. Not a bad idea! I received my copy from a friend during a local art show.