Topic: Have your cake...

Just share it, too...

I was thinking about food. I do that quite a bit. I'm something of a gastronome. I enjoy studying about food, making food, and certainly eating it. And in the tradition of combining things that I enjoy, I started thinking about Steampunk Food. Your typical tea sandwiches aside, not much was coming to mind... and then in the likewise typical tradition of the internet reading my mind, I looked through the bookmarks of blogs I followed. And came across a doozy from the always-humorous Cake Wrecks.

A Cake Wrecks weekly special, Sunday Sweets features non-wrecked confectionery delights. And the topic of this weeks attention? Steampunk cakes.

Anyone else out there think of any good foods? Emphasis on the punk, rather than the 'steam' in this case I think is appropriate.

(I couldn't think of a better place to put this thread... it's art! Delicious art.)

Re: Have your cake...

Steampunk cake? Why, that's definitely something I hadn't seen before!

Moved to Aetherscope by the way.

Wow, the third and the cephalopod are amazing looking! However, they don't look particularly appetizing. If I hadn't been told that they were cakes, I wouldn't have guessed. I'm sure they taste good, they just don't look like they would.

they appear to be made with fondant (rather than a more traditional frosting, like buttercream). Some peoplelove fondant. It definitely is good for sculpting and art cakes. But the taste typically leaves something to be desired...

Hmmm, cake...

I downloaded the Steampunk Cookbook the other month, but haven't actually got around to reading it properly, so am unsure if there are any cake/desserts in there....

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

Ottens wrote:

Steampunk cake? Why, that's definitely something I hadn't seen before!

Moved to Aetherscope by the way.

What are you on about?  I made a cake for smoking lounge day last year tongue
(admittedly it was cake with chocolate chips and a steampunk cake topper but I'll take any occassion to point out you have a memory like a sieve tongue tongue tongue tongue)

Necromanced for the purposes of sharing this recipe for steampunk cupcakes:

http://www.mybakingdom.com/2010/12/toot … cakes.html

I just put another steampunk wedding cake in the steampunk wedding thread.

But these are awesome too!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhjw8mHUTZ1qzmlz8o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1299591790&Signature=hFx0ExuB6dWORnlNEmq8tHPPt9c%3D

steampunk cupcakes!

I think I may make some at some point smile

A birthday cake for Mr Lovecraft

I want to make muffins like that for next Air Kraken Day! smile

the key hole detail on this cake is _amazing_.