Re: Lounge Spaceship

Sigurjon Njalsson wrote:

I move we do not, under any circumstances, call it the Titanic or make any claims that is is unsinkable. I've seen the Futurama episode. No icebergs of the skies for me, thank you!

Like this? Great deco interiors though.

12 (edited by Chicar 2009-06-16 23:10)

I think it would be primordial to have a school and library to conserve the knowledge of mankind. A multi-religious shrine would be useful too. Need a form of government of fortune too, until we reach our new home. A ship's crew is likely to not be sufficient to rule the survivor of mankind. I think too we should also welcome more than the forum members in our ship, not just by humanity, but because if i have nothing against polyandrie in moment of desperation, Adrianna risk to not be sufficient to repopulate mankind.

''What's more important, the data or the jazz? Sure, sure, 'Information should be free' and all that- but anyone can set information free. The jazz is in how you do it, what you do it to, and in almost getting caught without getting caught. The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. ''
Datatech Sinder Roze, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C Clarke

13 (edited by Vic 2009-06-17 06:48)

My, my, here I was about to say something usefull when Chicar (good chap that) just blasted my mind empty.  Say, where can one get a bit of a nip around here of something a bit stronger than tea (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)?

Chicar wrote:

[...] until we reach our new home. [...]

But, sir, this ship will be our new home!

As for your idea to conserve all knowledge of mankind, I thought that's what we had the Good Doctor for, not?

15 (edited by Dr Damon Molinarius 2009-06-17 09:49)

Chicar wrote:

Adrianna risk to not be sufficient to repopulate mankind.

I should think the good Colonel may have something to add about this! wink

All good suggestions so far. I wonder from the comments whether we actually need three craft. Firstly, the largest - a sort of 'hive' colony ship, to be used for the long journey across the galaxy, capable of sustaining our life with sections for ecosystems, agriculture, schooling and knowledge archives, and enough space for our group to grow, and across generations.  Secondly, an exploratory craft, for short-to-medium journeys, such as planetary system travel, to be used for scientific explorations which may lie a distance off the main journey, and which may act as a back-up survival ship in the (hopefully unlikely) event of us losing the main ship.  And thirdly, a short-range multiple entry craft for planetary visits and ship-to-ship shuttling (we may bump into someone else out there!) - prhaps something in the style of Serenity or the old Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon ships.

I do like the deco idea, and am very taken by the 'liner' design, but I also like the WH40K Imperial ship Gothic design aka: here or here or here or here (minus the Orcs!), and which reflects the passions of the Victorians in their neo-Gothic architecture (think of the Palace of Westminster).  Obviously, decorated in the deco style inside!

Of course, there is also Silent Running.  As suggested, some lovely bio-domes would not go amiss! 

And as we know from Cicero, a house without a library is like a body without a soul, and I would be honoured to conserve the sum of all human knowledge!

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

I rather like the look of those Warhammer ships too. I suppose that'll do for our "main" vessel. We'll obviously have a few shuttlecraft and smaller ships besides, for exactly the purposes you describe. We can't land that gargantuan thing on a planet surface every time we like to go on vacation.. I mean, expedition, of course.

Dr Damon Molinarius wrote:
Chicar wrote:

Adrianna risk to not be sufficient to repopulate mankind.

I should think the good Colonel may have something to add about this! wink

Indeed I do! I'll be far too busy keeping the insect and plant populations stable (don't worry Ottens, they'll stay in the greenhouse) to be repopulating our own! The head biologist on the ship doesn't have time for raising a baby tongue Let the loved ones who Sigurjon suggested bringing along do the repopulating. Or the other people who we are presumably letting on the ship.

I haven't been to a good Tiki Bar since Tiki Ti's. Hopefully yours doesn't have a two hour long line out the door like they did.

I rather like the Titanic from Doctor who, but I am more partial to something more like those on Star Blazers, Queen Emeraldas, Captai Harlock... especially if I can talk loud and monotone without making the proper mouth shapes. I love space!

Ettadiem.etsy.com - strange-fiction fantasy fine-art gifts, cards, and collectibles.

I think I'm rather partial to having a deco-ship as you suggest as the 'medium range' vacation - sorry, expedition - ship!  Far more suitable to seeing moon-beams glittering off the shoulder of Orion, whilst a large, menacing, Gothic style ship might be more suitable for viewing attack ships on fire at the Tanhauser Gate wink

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

Hehe big_smile  I quite agree!