Topic: If this is the Smoking Lounge...

... then surely we should have a thread for discussing that very vice! Which of you smoke, and in what form? Carcinogens be hanged; nothing looks more impressive than exhaling a plume of smoke, and when done right this can be a terribly steampunk pastime.

I've been known to enjoy a Turkish water pipe with friends now and again, but after catching bronchitis from one particularly delicious session I decided to steer clear of socially-oriented smoking.

Around this time last year I found myself quite captivated by the idea of tobacco pipes. I did extensive research and bought myself a couple estate pipes, one of which was hopelessly (I thought) clogged and another of which I dropped and broke tragically at an Alice In Wonderland themed Halloween party (I was the Dodo). I still had my cheap corncob, however, and I later added a new miniature billiard briar pipe which I still haven't entirely broken in.

While I'm still waiting for the glorious day when I can hold a nice bent meerschaum in my hands, tonight after watching some lovely pipe smoking videos on YouTube I was overcome with initiative and attacked the stem of my clogged Kaywoodie with renewed vigor (and plenty of Everclear). It now draws more smoothly than a boatswain's call, and tomorrow when the flammable liquid has evaporated I will smoke it. My local tobacconist makes a delicious aromatic blend that tastes like butterscotch, and I will use the last of my stash for this long-awaited smoke.

Someday, I would like to be able to blow smoke rings.

Re: If this is the Smoking Lounge...

Isobel Triumphant wrote:

Someday, I would like to be able to blow smoke rings.

That's an art still lost on me, I'm afraid. I should really make an effort to learn it one of these days!

Anyway, I smoke cigarettes and cigars occasionally. Benson & Hedges Gold is my brand of choice.

I don't usually smoke but I've been known to partake of the hookah.
As you know it's a very nice thing to share a hookah with a group of friends.

þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

My motto

I don't smoke full stop.
Bert has a hookah and likes the occassional cigar though.

I think quite a few of you might enjoy this

This should be familiar, but hey, it's on top. wink

From the blog:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/gatehouse/user/files/Viktoriya%20Sosonkina.jpg

I will occasionally (perhaps once or twice a year) smoke a cigar. Everything else I find rather repulsive.

I don't smoke at all, and generally try to avoid associating with habitual or chain-smokers.

Never smoked, don't intend to.

Given the attitudes of most of the members, perhaps a change of name to the Cocktail Lounge may be appropriate wink

the trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be

Well,
I have smoked cigars on special occasions but that's all.
However: My favorite uncle smokes cigars and many happy childhood memories are connected to the smell of cigars.