Re: Movie Club

Equilibrium is indeed a fine film - I just recently discovered, after being suckered into watching Ultraviolet by its much more successful marketing campaign.  Afterwards, hearing so many people complain how it compared in comparison to Kurt Wimmer's "other film," the husband hunted it down.

Again, the difference between having budgetary constraints and none, the story is so much better and the effects lend themselves to the story, instead of the story being centered solely around the "gee, ma, no hands!" phenomenon.

I really don't like Ultraviolet.  My dad taped it to DVD from Prime for me, but I don't think I'll ever re-watch it.

It has its incredibly cool moments, but there's a lot of dreck in between them.  I'm thinking of making a special DVD of the "cool scenes" so I don't have to wade through the rest of it ever again.

Equilibrium has some interesting dieselpunkesque elements to it.  Besides the airships which hover over the city of "Libria", the architecture itself is very nice indeed:

For the film, they actually used the Berlin Olympic Stadium, which has a certain totalitarian look to it, I'd say!

Lord K originally posted these here.

I've got to see this movie.

It looks delightfully cheesy and hilarious smile

Colonel Hazard, I'm sure you'll like it too, it has a mad scientist smile

Ha, that does look quite silly! I'm particularly fond of the missile that reads "E.T. Go Home!"

Yes that's a brilliant detail smile

How wonderfully ridiculous lol

I eagerly await the debut of this film. I have always been a fan old monster & alien invasion films. This looks like a hillarious tribute.

Bon Voyage for now

"Never before has a date in history been so significant to so many cultures, so many religions, scientists, and governments. 2012 is an epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors."

Click here to watch the trailer.

Pretty impressive, don't you think?