Re: Movie Club

The Matrix I think was good and somewhat revolutionary movie at the times (mainly in the form of it's relatively mainstream appeal) that was dragged down by two overblown and heavy-handed sequels, probably a good example of what happens when someone can't handle a blank check budget.

Equilibrium I stumbled across through pure chance when a friend of mine rented it and then swore by it' greatness. I do agree that it is a wonderful movie, pretty sparse and great for it. It is a shame it never got the release it deserved.

You will never come up against a greater adversary than your own potential

I quite agree that the first Matrix film was by far superior to the two sequels.  It had much more of a 1980s/cyberpunk feel to it then the other two, which I'd rather label "science fiction".

On a sidenote, it's agreeable to see you here again, Sir, after such a dismal absence!  wink

I'm all into Christian Bale films lately wink

I saw The Machinist yesterday, and I'm still undecided.  The twist at the end is quite brilliant, but throughout the film I kept thinking,  "he has insomnia,  he is hallucinating,"  not understanding what it was all about, nor expecting the revelation at the end which made up for the long-windedness mostly, but left me somewhat unsatisfied still.

Maybe I just had too high expectations causing me to be slightly disappointed even though it was still a very good film.

I haven't seen it, but one of my friends is a huge Christian Bale fan and says it's brilliant.

Personally I think some of his best roles (apart from Batman) was in Empire of the Sun (when he was still a kid) and Velvet Goldmine (oh how I adore that movie ^__^)

I never saw Velvet Goldmine but from what I'm reading it's a rather... queer film  wink

I must see it now though, for so far none of Bale's films have been bad.

As for Empire of the Sun, I saw it ages ago, and I didn't even remember it was Bale who played the main protagonist!

Velvet Goldmine is brilliant, I so need to get it on DVD!!!!

The Matrix sequels are in my opinion perfect examples of what happens when you try to hard to recreate something classic with a far to large budget. That special feeling that was in the original is lost inbetween overblown action sequences. Nothing wrong with those mind you but they need to serve some sort of purpose. Or at least look good, which they didn't. The Star Wars prequels are an even better example of this phenomena.

And I thank you for your kind note, had a somewhat hard tie for a couple of weeks. Nothing more than my usual lack-of-purpose-angst. I really need to stop doing that.

Why, if you lack purpose in life you can always indulge in online matters.  That's what I do to put the uselessness off my mind.  wink

And I agree entirely with you.  The last two Matrix films were full of action and visual effects while there was really only 30 minutes of plot in each films.  Quite a disappointment after such an excellent first film. 

I never cared much for the "first" two Star Wars films, but I did like Revenge of the Sith.

I should be online more shouldn't I?

I remember liking Revenge of the Sith  when I first saw it in cinemas but when I got the DVD the appreciation plummeted. Probably because massive effect fests and random fan service look allot more impressive on the big screen. May have also been the subwoofer under the floor that made the chair shake when the first star destroyer appeared. One of my best cinema experiences.

Jawa wrote:

I should be online more shouldn't I?

Of course!  big_smile

As for Revenge of the Sith I only saw it once, in the cinema, and it was quite an impressive experience indeed.  Perhaps I too shall be slightly disappointed when watching it at home, thus I shall endeavour to avoid purchasing the DVD for I'd like there to be at least one modern Star Wars movie I can still call "good".  wink